Sonic the Hedgehog 3 is a 2014 remastered version of the original Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles for the Sega Mega Drive. It was developed by Christian Whitehead and Simon Thornley for the iOS and Android.
Differences from the original
- Level from Sonic 3 Complete "Mushroom Valley" is optionally added.
- Despite it's name, it is an remastered version of Sonic 3 & Knuckles.
- When falling as Sonic, it uses the I'm Outta Here! jumping sprite from Sonic CD, and mainly acts as an spin attack.
- Knuckles uses an custom sprite, but is still the same.
- Tails doesn't use this sprite.
- Tails can now transform into Hyper Tails, and the Flickies are replaced with Cluckies.
- Red Eye now uses the unused sound $C5 in Sonic 3 & Knuckles after the first used sound before it plays when Red Eye gets angry.
- As an tribute to the 1993 series Sonic the Hedgehog, Dulcy can be placed in Debug Mode, which the player can ride on.
- In Competition, the screens are slightly bigger.
- Super Sonic uses the smoother beta animations.
- Super Sonic now has normal eyes.
- Different music is used for Sonic 3's final boss, an remix of the boss theme.
- At the end, Robotnik makes an fit at an 16-bit version of Splash Hill.
- An new title screen by default based on Sonic 2 with Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles, however this can be changed to the normal in Options.
- Gameplay is smoother.
- Some glitches are fixed.
- Level select - with an Tails (not Sonic and Tails) save or No save, press the SEGA logo in this order; SAGE. Now, hold 3 fingers and the sound test option will appear. Now, listen to full songs in order: 02, 02, 01, 09, 09, 04. The title screen will reappear. Hold 3 fingers and press the sound test option again.
- Debug mode - In level select, listen to songs in order: 02, 02, 01, 09, 09, 04. Die 3 times in Death Egg Zone. An Sonic 1/2-esque Game Over saying "TEST" will pop up. It will go back to the level select with 99 lives. Press the words replacing the Miles text with "DEBUG MODE".