Sonic Generations 2: A Rift in Time is an upcoming platformer for the Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, PlayStation 3, and Xbox One.This game will be released to celebrate Sonic's 23rd Birthday. It will include a fourth era and a third Sonic.
- Sonic the Hedgehog: The major hero of the game. Sonic can use his Homing Attack, Light Speed Dash, and Boost to destroy enemies. He is also known as Modern Sonic by the Tails Trio to avoid confusion with the other two Sonics. Modern Sonic is voiced by Roger Craig Smith.
- Classic Sonic: This Sonic is the original one from 1991! Classic Sonic can use his Stomp, Spin Dash, and Magic Hands to get through enemies. His Magic Hands can turn some enemies into projectiles. Classic Sonic actually gets a voice in this game, provided by Jaleel White!
- Boom Sonic: A version of Sonic seen only in the upcoming cartoon and video game. Boom Sonic is cocky, like Modern Sonic, and also taller. He can use both the Homing Attack and the Boost, along with his Enerbeam. Boom Sonic's voice is provided by Dane Cook instead of Roger Craig Smith.
- Dr. Eggman: Sonic's arch-rival and the person whom orignally found the Rifitrus. He is an evil mastermind, but sometimes can be a little bit too insane. Eggman is voiced by Mike Pollock.
There are four eras in the game; Genesis Era (renamed version of the Classic Era), Dreamcast Era, GameCube Era, and the Modern Era. The total of stages is 12, but there are 7 stages included in boss and rival battles, bringing it to 19.
- "The era that started off Sonic's adventures. Some of the locales (like Marble Zone and Palmtree Panic) I'd never been to before, but I was familiar with Hydrocity. I even met one of Knuckles' ancestors there!"
- —Tails' Notes Entry #001- "Genesis Era"
This era collects three levels from Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic CD, and Sonic the Hedgehog 3. The boss fought here is Mecha Sonic in Sky Sanctuary (from Sonic 3)/EGG HVC-001
Console Version (PS3/Xbox One/Wii U)
- Marble Zone (Sonic the Hedgehog ): The second zone of Sonic the Hedgehog is now the first level of Sonic Generations 2! In Act 1, the level plays pretty similar to the original Act 1 of Marble Zone, except for that some of the sections have been replaced with rising lava pools. Act 2 is in 3D, unlike the original game. It also resembles Mystic Ruins and Lost World from Sonic Adventure in some areas (mostly ones inside the temples). Act 3 is where things start to get interesting. An earthquake occurs right before the end of the level, sending Boom Sonic off into a deep underground section of the level.
- Palmtree Panic (Sonic CD ): Each act of this stage represents a specific time period in the game; Act 1 represents the past, Act 2 represents the present, and Act 3 represents the good future. In Act 1, dinosaurs roam the grounds of Palmtree Panic, one of which Sonic can leap off of for an extra jump boost. Vines also cover much of the landscape. Act 2 is a simple tropical coast, but construction on a resort can be seen in some parts of the level. Modern Sonic must explore an undersea ruins-like area before making it to the goal. Act 3, the Good Future, has been changed alot since its original appearance. In it, the resort is finished and Boom Sonic goes through it at several points in the level. This area bears a resemblance to Emerald Coast and Water Palace.
- Hydrocity Zone (Sonic the Hedgehog 3): A complex resorvoir from an ancient civilization makes for a mysterious stage. Act 1 starts out in an aboveground lake, where echidnas can be seen working on a dam. Act 2, however, takes place underground in the resorvoir itself, where some leaks in the dam cause the water level to rise. Act 3 takes place in what appears to be a sewage system, complete with acid and garbage obstacles.
Portable Version (3DS)
Marble Zone is the only area that is the same in both versions, while the other two are different.
- Marble Zone (Sonic the Hedgehog): See above for the level's description.
- Hill Top Zone (Sonic the Hedgehog 2):
- Carnival Night Zone (Sonic the Hedgehog 3):
- "This era is complete trip down memory lane. I knew so much had changed since the Riftrus came through, but I think Casinopolis has seen tons of improvement! I saw a few Enerbeam machines and some new food!"
- —Tails' Notes Entry #002 "Dreamcast Era"