Sonic Adventure 4: Black Arms Rising is an action, adventure, and platformer game created by Sonic Team and is the fourth and final installment of the Sonic Adventure Series. This game is a revision of the Shadow the Hedgehog video game and is set to be released in November 13, 2018.
|Sonic Adventure 4: Black Arms Rising|
November 13, 2018
Action, Adventure, Platforming
Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nitendo Switch
E10 for Everyone 10+
- Main article: Sonic Adventure 4: Black Arms Rising/Story (Ch. 1-5)
- Main article: Sonic Adventure 4: Black Arms Rising/Story (Ch. 6-10)
- Main article: Sonic Adventure 4: Black Arms Rising/Story (Last Story)
It was one night in Central City where the citizens are attending a festival observing the appearance of the Black Comet which appears every 50 years. This was soon interrupted when an army of aliens known as the Black Arms wreak havoc in Central City, destroying everything in sight. With their sights set on the Chaos Emeralds to use them for their evil purposes, Sonic gathers his allies to stop these aliens.
Also, it has appeared that Shadow has survived from his fall from space after helping Sonic save the world, but it turns out that he is awaken in Eggman's base with his memories erased and in order to regain them, he would have to work for Eggman in finding the Chaos Emeralds, but can Shadow trust him? Or someone else?
There is only one story which contains 10 chapters with the addition of another chapter which is the Last Story.
There are 23 playable characters in the game. Note that only 5 characters won't be appearing in the story (Tikal, Chaos, E-102 Gamma, Metal Knuckles, and Tails Doll, though the latter two will have cameo appearances), but will be unlocked after clearing certain stages.
Sonic the Hedgehog
The world's fastest hedgehog with the need for adventure. Sonic will need all the help he can get to combat the diabolical forces of the Black Arms.
Miles "Tails" Prower
Sonic's best friend with an interest in machinery. Tails will use his skills and his smarts to take out the Black Arms.
Knuckles the Echidna
The guardian of the Master Emerald. Knuckles joins Sonic and the others in their battle to eliminate the Black Arms.
A sweet and energetic pink hedgehog with a crush on Sonic, but also proves to be one of his best friends.
Cream the Rabbit
A young rabbit who never forgets her manners. This time, Cream is joining Sonic and other to fight the evil Black Arms.
Big the Cat
A large purple cat who lives at a small hut in the Mystic Ruins jungle. This time, he isn't fishing for his amphibian pet, Froggy. He's joining along to battle the Black Arms after the Mystic Ruins was threatened.
Shadow the Hedgehog
A black and red ultimate lifeform created by the late Prof. Gerald Robotnik aboard the Space Colony ARK. It is learned that Shadow has survived the fall from space in Sonic Adventure 2, but was founded by Dr. Eggman and was put in a stasis tube. In order to find his memories, Shadow must find the 7 Chaos Emeralds and bring them to Dr. Eggman.
Rouge the Bat
A flashy and sassy jewel thief who seeks to acquire all of the world's jewels for her personal gain. Rouge would have to put aside her pleasures again when she is called by G.U.N. to fight against the Black Arms.
Vector the Crocodile
A loud and brash crocodile who is the leader of the Chaotix Detective Agency. Vector receives another case from the government; this time, he along with Espio and Charmy are looking to recover the lost files of the Space Colony ARK.
Espio the Chameleon
A chameleon who is the voice of reason of the Chaotix.
The youngest member of the Chaotix and is scatterbrained and goofy hyperactive bee.
Mighty the Armadillo
An armadillo who is an old friend of Sonic and an ally to Knuckles, and the Chaotix.
Julie-Su the Echidna
A tough pink echidna who was a former member of the Dark Legion and is a close friend of Knuckles.
The mechanical copy of Sonic created by Dr. Eggman.
Fang the Sniper
A criminal bounty hunter who leads Team Hooligan. Fang longs to possess all the treasures for himself especially the Chaos Emeralds.
Bean the Dynamite
A loony duck with a habit of throwing bombs and watching them explode.
Bark the Polar Bear
The silent muscle of Team Hooligan and is long-time friends with Bean.
Eclipse the Darkling
A Black Arm soldier who serves as Black Doom's right hand man. While most Black Arm soldiers think alike, Eclipse thinks differently, but nevertheless remains loyal to his brethren and his leader. Despite being a villain, Eclipse is unlocked after defeating him in a battle.
A doll-like copy of Tails created by Dr. Eggman years ago.
A mechanical copy of Knuckles created by Dr. Eggman years ago.
The E-series robot created by Eggman in Sonic Adventure: Chaos Unleashed.
Tikal the Echidna
A female echidna who lives inside the Master Emerald with Chaos and the Chao. Tikal is unlocked after clearing Glyphic Canyon
A mutated chao who lives with Tikal and the Chao in the Master Emerald. He is the guardian of the Chao.
The leader of the Black Arms. Black Doom has a deep distaste for humanity and seeks to destroy the world as a way of "cleansing it". He appears to have some connection with Shadow 50 years ago.
A diabolical mustached scientist bent on world domination. After hearing about Central City's destruction at the hands of Black Doom's army, Eggman sends his army to fight against it so that he can save the world he longs to take over, but he will also oppose Sonic and GUN along the way. He also sends Shadow to find the 7 Chaos Emeralds in order to give him information on his past.
Commander Abraham Tower
G.U.N.'s highest ranked commander. Commander Tower is focused on protecting humanity from the Black Arms at all costs. He holds a dislike for Sonic and his friends for being Mobians, but reluctantly seeks their help against the Black Arms. He also harbors a grudge against Shadow and orders his army to kill him along with the Black Arms.
Professor Gerald Robotnik
One of the greatest scientists who invented Shadow 50 years ago and the grandfather of Dr. Eggman. After G.U.N. invaded the Space Colony ARK and killed everyone including Maria, Gerald lost his sanity and blamed humanity for her death, seeking revenge by designing the Eclipse Cannon to destroy earth, which Sonic and the others had prevented. He was executed by G.U.N.
The granddaughter of Gerald Robotnik and cousin of Dr. Eggman. She was a very close friend to Shadow until the day of her death at the hands of a G.U.N. soldier.
Vanilla the Rabbit
Cream's mother who lives at a mansion in Emerald Town. While confident that Cream is helping Sonic and friends fight Black Doom, she still worries over her well-being.
One of Eggman's assistant robot. Despite his loyalty to him, he would find every opportunity to mock him.
Another one of Eggman's assistant robot. Loyal to his creator, but is a bit of a dimwit (or dimbot in his case).
- Main article: Sonic Adventure 4: Black Arms Rising/Gameplay
Stages & Bosses
- Main article: Sonic Adventure 4: Black Arms Rising/Stages & Bosses
The enemies of the game are split into three factions - Eggman Empire, GUN, and Black Arms. Like the original title, some enemies will have a health gauge, making them challenging to take out. It's worth noting that in the story, the Black Arms are the most frequent enemies since they are the main threat.
A new feature in this game are the Allies/Enemies system. While enemies are simply whom the player have to destroy, allies serve to assist the player in battling the enemies and the player can choose to assist them. Keep in mind that, depending on how powerful the enemy is, an ally would sometimes get eliminated easily and, at best, can inflict minimal damage to an enemy. Depending on what the player wants to do, they can choose to save them from being destroyed. Players can also choose to have two factions as either allies or enemies in Stage Select.
- Egg Pawn series: Egg Pawn, Egg Pawn Sword, Egg Pawn Gun, Egg Pawn Laser, Egg Pawn Rocket, Gold Egg Pawn
- Flapper series: Flapper, Gun Flapper, Shocker Flapper, Bomb Flapper, Laser Flapper, Rocket Flapper, Spike Flapper, Steel Flapper
- Buzz Bomber
- Moto Bug
- Egg Hammer series: Egg Hammer, Heavy-Egg Hammer
- G.U.N. Soldier
- Hunter series: Gun Hunter, Laser Hunter, Rocket Hunter, Shield Hunter
- Beetle series: Mono Beetle, Gun Beetle, Laser Beetle, Bomb Beetle, Rocket Beetle, Spark Beetle, Gun Wing, Laser Wing, Bomb Wing, Spring Beetle, Gold Beetle
- Hawk series: Gun Hawk, Sky Hawk, Laser Hawk, Rocket Hawk
- Hornet series: 3-Hornet, 6-Hornet, 9-Hornet, Laser Hornet, Phoenix
- Rhino series: Rhino Jet, Rhino Tank, Rhino Laser, Rhino Rocket, Rhino Spike, Rhino Metal
- Trooper series: Gun Trooper, Giga Trooper
- F-6 series: F-6 Big Foot, F-6r Big Foot
- Artificial Chaos
- Black Warrior
- Black Oak
- Black Leech
- Sand Worm
- Black Worms
- Death Worms
- Killer Plant
- Black Wing
- Black Hawk
- Black Volt
- Black Assassin
- Main article: Sonic Adventure 4: Black Arms Rising/Upgrades
This mode involves playing the game's story. A percentage meter will be displayed to indicate your progress of completing the story. Whenever you return to this mode, you will be allowed to view recaps of the previous chapters. You will also choose which point of the story you want to go to.
This mode involves the option of visiting the 8 Adventure Fields. You can do a lot of things such as talking to characters and citizens, entering stages, collecting emblems in which there are 3 in each of them, and entering into to the Chao Gardens.
This mode involves the option of selecting a stage with any character of your choice. You are given the option to play up to 4 characters. When choosing more than one character, you can switch characters during the stage.
This mode involves choosing a boss to battle with any character of your choice.
This mode involves playing all the 30 stages (and the 3 final stages) in an increased level difficulty. While they are the same, there will be more enemies and differently arranged paths. In addition, the Allies/Enemies faction system is omitted as you would have to fight both factions in each stage. The objective of Hard Mode stages is to reach to the goal ring, though a small number of them will include destroying certain objects. This mode is unlocked after completing all 11 chapters in Story Mode.
This mode consist of a number of mini-games. The list are are as follows:
- Kart Racing: Select any character to compete in Kart Racing.
- Sky Chase: As Sonic and Tails, you control the Tornado bioplane to shoot all enemies in sight.
- Hedgehog Hammer: As Amy, you must use her trusty hammer to hit as many mole-like Sonic and Super Sonic heads to gain points while avoiding Eggman heads.
- Treasure Hunting: This mini-game consists of searching for three Chaos Emeralds/Master Emerald shards. The characters accessible to this mini-game are Knuckles, Rouge, Tikal, Chaos, Julie-Su, Fang, Bean, and Bark.
- Boarding: This mini-game is about reaching the goal ring via on a board.
- Big's Fishing: As Big, you must successfully fish out as much fish as you can before time runs out.
- Enemy Gauntlet: This mini-game consists of eliminating a number of enemies in a certain time. You can select up to 4 characters for this mode.
This is where you raise your Chao in Chao Gardens located in 8 Adventure Fields. When you raise a Chao with any character, it will reflect of the character's personality and abilities; for example, if you raise a Chao as Eclipse (of all characters), it will become a Black Arms Chao. There's also a new feature called Chao Sports which features a variety of sports that Chao can participate in - Racing, Karate, Soccer, Baseball, Football, Basketball, Tennis, and Hockey.
This will be up to 4 players. Here is the list of modes which are as follows:
- Racing: Whoever reaches the goal ring first wins. The types can be one-on-one, three-way, four-way, and team racing.
- Battle: Whoever reduces their opponents' health gauge wins. The types of battles are one-on-one, three-way, four-way, or team battle.
- Boss: Whoever defeats the boss first wins. This mode can be done either in one-on-one, three-way, four-way, or team battle.
- Treasure Hunting: Whoever finds two Chaos Emeralds wins. For 2 players, the number of Emeralds is 3. If it's 3 players, the number of Emeralds is 4. If it is 4 players, the number of Emeralds is 5.
- Kart Racing: Whoever reaches the third lap wins.
- Chao Sports: As mentioned on the Chao section above, players can compete in various sports.
Select this mode and you will see content such as Character Bios (Characters, Bosses, and Enemies), Story Cutscenes (which are unlocked after completing a story), Emblem Results, and Sound Test.
Selecting this will allow you to adjust features such as controller vibration, sounds, language voice-over, captions, menu screen theme, and data configuration.
|Roger Craig Smith||Sonic the Hedgehog, Metal Sonic, GUN Soldier #1|
|Colleen O'Shaughnessey||Miles "Tails" Prower, Charmy Bee, Tails Doll|
|Travis Willingham||Knuckles the Echidna, Metal Knuckles|
|Cindy Robinson||Amy Rose|
|Michelle Ruff||Cream the Rabbit, Vanilla the Rabbit|
|Kyle Hebert||Big the Cat|
|Karen Strassman||Rouge the Bat|
|Kirk Thornton||Shadow the Hedgehog, Orbot|
|Keith Silverstein||Vector the Crocodile|
|Matthew Mercer||Espio the Chameleon|
|Sean Astin||Mighty the Armadillo|
|Melissa Fahn||Julie-Su the Echidna|
|Jason Adam Griffith||GUN Soldier #2|
|Sean Schemmel||Black Doom|
|Mike Pollock||Dr. Eggman|
|Marc Thompson||Commander Abraham Tower|
|Tom Kenny||Fang the Sniper|
|Nolan North||Bean the Dynamite|
|Frank Welker||Bark the Polar Bear|
|Vic Mignogna||E-102 Gamma, GUN Soldier #3|
|Karen Neill||Tikal the Echidna|
- This marks Mighty's first appearance since Knuckles Chaotix.
- Ray the Flying Squirrel is mentioned in the story.
Here are the game dialogue of each chapter of the story.
- Sonic Adventure 4: Black Arms Rising/Script (Chapter 1-2)
- Sonic Adventure 4: Black Arms Rising/Script (Chapter 3-4)
- Sonic Adventure 4: Black Arms Rising/Script (Chapter 5-6)
- Sonic Adventure 4: Black Arms Rising/Script (Chapter 7-8)
- Sonic Adventure 4: Black Arms Rising/Script (Chapter 9-10)
- Sonic Adventure 4: Black Arms Rising/Script (Chapter 11)
Here are the quotes from each of the playable characters by clicking here.