- "The Adventure of a Lifetime!"
Sonic Adventure 3 (ソニックアドベンチャー Sonikku Adobenchā 3) is a 2021 Sonic the Hedgehog 3D Platformer that will be released for the 30th Anniversary of Sonic the Hedgehog. It will be released for Mac, Nintendo Switch, PC, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X on November 16, 2021, and on Nintendo GamePort, titled Sonic Adventure 3 Alpha on November 19, 2024, marking the console’s release.
- 1 Development
- 2 Story
- 3 Plot
- 4 Gameplay
- 5 Characters
- 6 Voice Cast
- 7 Music
- 8 Reception
- 9 Controversies
- 10 Trivia
After the release of Sonic Forces, SEGA decided that they had used the boost gameplay too much. Since Sonic Adventure 2 was the most critically acclaimed 3D Sonic game, they decided that fans would be happy with the first ever proper sequel to both Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Forces, as well as the IDW comics. They also had the idea to make it a Christmas game.
The gameplay was first shown at E3 2021. It was announced to be for the current and next-gen consoles as well as PC and Mac.
Over one thousand years ago, a mysterious alien race known as the Seedrians created stones to harness the powers of the six elements. Fire, water, ice, earth, wind, and metal. Throughout history, many, including Sonic’s uncle, Charles the Hedgehog, have searched for the Elemental Stones, but have failed, until 22 years ago (in Sonic Adventure), the Wind and Ice Stones were discovered. Now, Sonic and his friends must split into five groups (see playable characters) and find all of the Elemental Stones, before Dr. Eggman, with the help of both his new Metal Battalion and the Hooligans, finds them.
During the events of the Sonic Adventure 3 Prelude Comic Series (one year after the Sonic Mania Adventure), Dr. Eggman is being put in prison by two GUN officers. The two are knocked out by three mysterious figures. They come out of a shadow and reveal themselves to be none other than the Hooligans (Fang the Sniper, Bark the Polar Bear, and Bean the Dynamite). They say that Dr. Eggman can be broken out of jail on one condition, if they can work for him and help him catch Sonic. They then make a deal.
One month later, the citizens of Neotropolis are celebrating Christmas by going to the Santa Claus Parade. Then, Dr. Eggman’s mysterious new ship, the Egg Destroyer arrives, questioning the citizens of the location of the Fire Stone. Fortunately Sonic arrives and follows the Egg Destroyer.
Sonic catches up to the Egg Destroyer and is then surrounded by an army of metal versions of him and his friends. Sonic battles Metal Sonic and wins, but Metal Sonic heals himself via a manhole cover near him which is made of Metal. Then Sonic realizes that the Metal Battalion feeds off Metal, which makes them stronger. Dr. Eggman gets word that the Fire Stone is not in the city, so he retreats. With Eggman out of his site, Sonic decides to uncover the mystery.
Back at Restoration HQ, a lovesick Tails looks at a picture on his phone of his crush, Honey the Cat. Then Amy and Sticks come into the room that Tails is in and Tails switches the picture to a picture of an Xbox Series X, a PS5, or a Switch (depending on what console you’re playing on), lying that it’s a new invention that he’s made. Amy tells Tails that she has been in contact with someone who has possession of one of the Elemental Stones. She doesn’t know who this contact is, but knows that they reside in a mansion on the coast of Neotropolis. Tails’ mission is to get the Elemental Stone from this mysterious contact and bring it to the Restoration. Tails rushes to his new plane, the Tornado 3 and flies down to the coast of Neotropolis.
Tails searches the metal and machine-filled mansion, and ends up with absolutely no trace of Amy’s contact. Then, the mansion is attacked on by Metal Tails. Tails defeats Metal Tails, but Metal Tails absorbs metal from the ground and flies away. Tails sees that the contacts phone was left there, and sees the screensaver of the phone, and realizes that Amy’s contact is Honey the Cat. With his communicator on, Tails gives an astonished reaction, leaving Amy confused and worried. Then Tails says that he has a confession to make, and will tell Amy back at the Restoration HQ.
Citizens of Neotropolis are on a tour of Angel Island, until they are attacked on by Metal Knuckles, who asks them where the Master Emerald is. Fortunately, Knuckles comes to stop him.
The game’s gameplay is much like the fan game, Sonic World. Many levels are specialized for one character, specifically adding things that a certain character can do.
|Sonic the Hedgehog|
|Miles “Tails” Prower|
|Knuckles the Echidna|
|Tangle the Lemur|
|Sticks the Badger|
|Shadow the Hedgehog|
|Whisper the Wolf|
|Silver the Hedgehog|
|Blaze the Cat|
|Scorn the Velociraptor|
|Mighty the Armadillo|
|Ray the Flying Squirrel|
|Honey the Cat|
|Espio the Chameleon|
|Cream the Rabbit|
|Fang the Sniper|
|Bark the Polar Bear|
|Bean the Dynamite|
|Commander Jam the Cat|
|Professor Charles “Uncle Chuck” the Hedgehog|
|Rough the Skunk|
|Tumble the Skunk|
- Roger Craig Smith as Sonic the Hedgehog and Commander Jam the Cat
- Mike Polloch as Dr. Eggman, the Metal Battalion, Fang the Sniper, Bark the Polar Bear, Dr. Starline and Professor Charles the Hedgehog
- Cindy Robinson as Amy Rose
- Kirk Thornton as Shadow the Hedgehog, Orbot and Tumble the Skunk
- Bryce Papenbrook as Silver the Hedgehog and Bean the Dynamite
- Vincent Tong as Mighty the Armadillo
- Coleen Villard as Miles “Tails” Prower and Charmy Bee
- Travis Willingham as Knuckles the Echidna
- Nika Futterman as Sticks the Badger
- Tara Strong as Tangle the Lemur, Whisper the Wolf, and Honey the Cat
- Vic Mignogna as E-123 Omega
- Erica Lindbeck as Blaze the Cat
- William Slayers as Scorn the Velociraptor
- Vincent Tong as Mighty the Armadillo
- Nicolas Cantu as Ray the Flying Squirrel
- Michelle Ruff as Cream the Rabbit
- Keith Silverstein as Vector the Crocodile
- Mathew Mercer as Espio the Chameleon
- Jason Griffith as Rough the Skunk
- Wally Wingert as Cubot
Upon its release, the game received very positive reviews from reviewers across the globe. It received an 81 out of 100 on Metacritic, making it their second-best reviewed 3D Sonic game.
1up praised the game's graphics and gameplay, saying that "The Sonic franchise has made it to the next level." They also said “Boy does it have its fair share of bright colours”. They finished off saying “All is fair in love and war. This game is a bit of both”, which made it to the front cover of the special edition. GamePro described the game as "Entertaining, beautiful, and expansive" therefore they called it "One of Sonic's best adventures yet."
83/100 (PS4, PS5)
78/100 (Switch, PC, Mac)
- Many criticized Tails and Honey’s relationship, calling it “insensitive” due to their age difference in the comics (7 years). As a response, SEGA updated the game, making character profiles for each of the playable characters, which revealed that Honey is 12 rather than her previous age of 16.
- Excluding remakes, this is the first 3D Sonic game for the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5.
- This is the first Sonic game since Sonic Adventure 2 to have all characters playable in two-player battle.
- This is the first game where Sonic wears his Puma shoes, previously featured in the 2020 film.
- This is the first 3D Sonic game to feature Mighty the Armadillo and Ray the Flying Squirrel.
- This is the second Sonic game to feature Honey the Cat. The first was Sonic the Fighters.
- This is the fourth Sonic game to feature Sticks the Badger, but it is her first appearance in the game continuity.
- This is the first Sonic game to fully realize Sonic and Amy's romantic relationship.
- The main hero team is called the Restoration, as it was in the IDW comics.
- This game features Tangle the Lemur, Whisper the Wolf, Dr. Starline, Rough the Skunk, and Tumble the Skunk, who are identical to their appearances in the IDW Comics, as well as Mighty the Armadillo, Ray the Flying Squirrel, Honey the Cat, Fang the Sniper, Bark the Polar Bear, and Bean the Dynamite, who are identical to their appearances from the Archie Comics.
- This is the first game to be written by Ian Flynn.
- Honey the Cat is Tails' second romantic interest, the first was Zooey the Fox in Sonic Boom. Although Honey is Tails' first romantic interest in the games' continuity.
- This is the seventh main Sonic game to feature Metal Sonic.