|Sonic: Toontown Trials|
Unreal Engine 3
Sonic: Toontown Trials is a fan game by Akamia Studios. It is set in the fictional universe of Disney's Toontown Online. It is also the first in Akamia Studios' Sonic Crossover series, already with a planned sequel called Sonic: Equestrian Adventure.
Sonic: Toontown Trials is currently in it's idea stage, however, there are plans to use the Unreal Engine to develop the game. There are also plans to add bonus levels for DLC after the game is developed and released to the public.
There is very little known about the plot, other than Sonic the Hedgehog will be warped from his world to that of the colorful city of Toontown. However, something is off; Toontown is falling to the evil Cogs, robot executives seeking to suck the fun and color out of Toontown and turn it into a grey corporate nightmare. Toontown is running out of heroes, and only Sonic can set things right.
According to the creator, only the Modern Mode story is canon to his own fictions.
Classic Mode opening
If the player chooses the Classic Mode, the story will start off in Green Hill. Young Sonic the Hedgehog had already defeated Dr. Eggman for the first time, and decided to kick back and relax. Suddenly, a vortex opens up and surprises the young hedgehog, pulling Sonic inside. Sonic then wakes up in the middle of what appears to be a race track, and runs off to find out what's going on. The adventure begins there.
Modern Mode opening
If the player chooses the Modern Mode, the story will start off at Emerald Town. 16-year old Sonic the Hedgehog is coming from 2 weeks after his birthday, and had already ran around the world twice over, saying hello to old friends. But then a vortex opens up as he's on his way back home, and scoops him up, catching Sonic completely off guard. Sonic finds himself in a race track, and decides to find out what's going on. So he starts to run, and that begins the adventure.
- Sonic the Hedgehog (Classic and Modern)
- Super Sonic (Classic and Modern)
- Shadow the Hedgehog
- Miles "Tails" Prower
- Knuckles the Echidna
- Metal Sonic
- Rainbow Dash (DLC character)
- Sellbot Vice President (Boss of Sellbot HQ)
- Cashbot Chief Financial Officer (Boss of Cashbot HQ)
- Lawbot Chief Justice (Boss of Lawbot HQ)
- Bossbot Chief Executive Officer (Boss of Bossbot HQ)
- Cog Nation Chairman (Final Boss)
- Metal Sonic (Special Stage only)
- Lawbot Mecha-Wright (Miniboss, act 2 of The Brrrgh)
- Lawbot Mecha-Edgeworth (Miniboss, act 2 of Donald's Dock)
- Coach Zucchini
- Mickey Mouse
- Donald Duck
- Minnie Mouse
- Daisy Duck
- Scrooge McDuck
- Truthan Justice 
- Any and all other Toons that appear
- Eggman's Robots (Special Stages)
- Cold Caller
- Name Dropper
- Glad Hander
- Mover & Shaker
- The Mingler
- Mr. Hollywood
- Short Change
- Penny Pincher
- Bean Counter
- Number Cruncher
- Money Bags
- Loan Shark
- Robber Baron
- Bottom Feeder
- Double Talker
- Ambulance Chaser
- Spin Doctor
- Legal Eagle
- Big Wig
- Pencil Pusher
- Head Hunter
- Corporate Raider
- The Big Cheese
There may be auditions for voices, but until further notice, all characters are either played by Akamia, or left voiceless. The following are the possible actors, with Sonic, Shadow, and Metal Sonic confirmed to be Akamia.
|Sonic the Hedgehog (Classic and Modern)||Akamia|
|Shadow the Hedgehog||Akamia|
|Miles "Tails" Prower||Akamia|
|Knuckles the Echidna||Akamia|
There will be two different modes of gameplay available for Story Mode. Classic Mode has the player play through the Action Stages as Classic Sonic, going through as he would in the classic Sonic games. Modern Mode has Modern Sonic going through in a similar way to the modern games, only with less of a focus on speed, and more of a focus on platforming and exploration.
There will also be Free Play mode, unlocked after Story Mode is completed, which enables the player to play as other characters in Modern Mode in place of Sonic, such as Shadow the Hedgehog, Miles "Tails" Prower, Knuckles the Echidna, and Metal Sonic. Each have their own unique gameplay styles, making use of the Modern Mode's Boost Meter, but only Sonic and Shadow can transform into Super form. The Action Stages also enable Sonic CD-style Time Travel in this mode only, allowing for Good and Bad Futures to happen, depending on what is done (or, in the case of failing to go back, what isn't done) in the Past. Handsome amounts of bonus points are given to players who take the time to get a Good Future.
Sonic the Hedgehog
DLC Alt. Costume: Evil Sonic
Sonic's gameplay is primarily a merger of Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Sonic CD. This means that he has all the abilities of Sonic 3, plus the Super Peel-Out dash. He also lacks a Boost Meter.
DLC Alt. Costume: Scourge the Hedgehog
Sonic's gameplay works closer to that of his current gameplay in the main series. However, in addition to the slide maneuver he's known to be able to do in the modern games, he gains access to the Spin Dash once again.
Shadow the Hedgehog
DLC Alt. Costume: Future Shadow
Shadow's gameplay is not far from Sonic's, save slower acceleration, even when Boosting, and the ability to use Chaos Powers. Shadow can use abilities like Chaos Control, Chaos Spear, and Chaos Blast, but each use of a Chaos Power drains the Boost Meter significantly.
Miles "Tails" Prower
DLC Alt. Costume: Twister Prower
Tails's gameplay will mostly be a cross between his Genesis gameplay and his Adventure gameplay, with the Boost Meter serving the purpose of telling the player how much airtime Tails has left before he can no longer fly. For Tails, the Boost Meter recharges automatically, without the need for Rings. He cannot perform the Sonic Boost, like Sonic and Shadow can, and is significantly slower in running speed.
Knuckles the Echidna
DLC Alt. Costume: Fists the Echidna
Knuckles' gameplay is mostly like his gameplay in the Genesis and Adventure titles. He can also dig in the 2D Platforming sections in a similar way to the Drill Wisp from Sonic Colors. Doing so uses up Boost Energy. Like Tails, Knuckles cannot perform the Sonic Boost.
DLC Alt. Costume: Metal Scourge
Metal Sonic's gameplay will be similar to that of his appearance in Sonic Adventure 2's multiplayer mode, but with an element of the boss battle from Sonic CD, namely the Maximum Overdrive used to catch up to (and damage) Sonic in that battle. The Maximum Overdrive takes the place of the Sonic Boost, and as a result, uses up Boost Energy. The Black Shield is also usable at the cost of Boost Energy.
Rainbow Dash (DLC character)
DLC Alt. Costume: Grey Rainbow
Rainbow Dash's gameplay will be identical to the DLC Rainbow Dash gameplay in Sonic: Equestrian Adventure. In fact, it is the exact same DLC, only made to work with Toontown Trials.
After beating the Action Stage versions of the following stages, you are free to explore the Hub World versions. Travelling the Hub Worlds will be necessary to access the other Action Stages. The Action Stages are unlocked (and thus, played through in the story) in the following order.
- Goofy Speedway
- Toontown Central
- Donald's Dock
- Daisy's Gardens
- Sellbot HQ
- Minnie's Melodyland
- The Brrrgh
- Donald's Dreamland
- Cashbot HQ
- Minnie's Melodyland, Act 2
- The Brrrgh, Act 2
- Lawbot HQ
- Donald's Dock, Act 2
- Chip & Dale's Acorn Acres
- Bossbot HQ
- Cog Nation (Unlocked after 6 Chaos Emeralds are collected from the Special Stages, the seventh being unlocked here)
The following stages are unlocked after the game is complete, and are therefore optional. They are playable in Free Play
- Goofy Speedway, Act 2
- Toontown Central, Act 2
- Daisy's Gardens, Act 2
- Donald's Dreamland, Act 2
- Chip & Dale's Acorn Acres, Act 2
There will be 6 Special Stages, each one taken from games throughout Sonic's history. The special stages, as well as the challenges within, are the following
- Palmtree Panic - Race against Classic Sonic and get a Good Future. Get to the Chaos Emerald first (Race against Modern Sonic with the same objective in Classic Mode)
- Sky Sanctuary - Clear out the Eggman Robots invading. Knuckles will open the paths to the next armies of robots, with the last room containing the Chaos Emerald
- Final Egg - Get to the Chaos Emerald in under 5 minutes
- Planet Wisp - Race Shadow to the Chaos Emerald
- City Escape - Race Flippy, and get to the Chaos Emerald before he does
- Eggmanland - Single combat with Metal Sonic. Defeat him to get the Chaos Emerald
There are plans to add extra level packs to the game via content download, which enable new levels to be played in Free Play mode, Modern or Classic, such as the following:
Sonic CD Throwback Pack
This pack is meant to be a homage to Sonic CD, and is so far the only pack planned to enable the Time Travel feature present in the rest of the game's Free Play stages. The stages will also preserve their original level designs from Sonic CD in Classic Mode, with modified, 3D-environment versions of the same designs for Modern Mode play.
- Palmtree Panic (Zones 1, 2, 3, and Boss)
- Stardust Speedway (Zones 1, 2, 3, and Boss)
- Metallic Madness (Zones 1, 2, 3, and Boss)
Green Emerald Island Throwback Pack
This pack takes the very first levels of Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis), Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis), and Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles, and brings them into the next generation. Like the Sonic CD pack, these stages' original designs will be preserved for Classic Mode, with some modifications for Modern Mode.
- Green Hill (Acts 1, 2, and 3)
- Emerald Hill (Acts 1 & 2)
- Angel Island (Acts 1 & 2)
Eggman Empire Pack
This pack will be the first pack to use original level designs, as these stages take place in unknown bases owned by Dr. Eggman.
- Ground Zero (Acts 1 & 2)
- Titanium Tower (Acts 1 & 2)
- Submerged Seabase (Acts 1 & 2)
- The placement of the 4th Special Stage, as well as the character raced is a reference to the Shadow the Hedgehog line used when Shadow was searching for the 4th Chaos Emerald in that game. However, the stage itself comes from Sonic Colors.
- Mecha-Wright and Mecha-Edgeworth are references to the Ace Attorney games, with the main character Phoenix Wright being a defense attorney, and his rival, Miles Edgeworth, being a prosecutor. Their boss fights have Mecha-Wright and Mecha-Edgeworth use modified versions of Phoenix Wright's moveset in Ultimate Marvel V.S. Capcom 3. This was done as a homage to the Ace Attorney series as well as the Capcom VS series.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 This is not an official Toontown Online character. Truthan Justice was created by Akamia within the game. He will get character development and establishment in another, non-Sonic project.
- ↑ There are plans to invite YouTube's CoachZucchini to lend his voice of the character to this iteration of him.