May, 2014 Interview
Happy May! It's a new month and that means a new featured article. This time we had some groovy (seriously, who uses that word anymore?) hybrids, and the one that we'll be looking at is Neil Clements, a scorpion and cat mix-up. (For now on, I will be doing full reviews of each featured article instead of the useless page summaries. I will be pointing at both good and bad. There will not be a score.)
Appearance: I feel that there was a lot of care put into this section. The great detail really aids with getting a clear picture of Neil in your head. This proves that a well written description is just as good as a well drawn picture.
Personality: This is a nice and descriptive paragraph. However, I felt that there could have been more added onto this. Perhaps talk more about how his abuse has affected his view on things.
Abilities: I felt that not enough detail was put here. It would have been nice to talk about each power in separate paragraphs so that we can get into the specifics, like how they are used.
Skills: This is something that has always bothered me: Having weapon training without specific reasons for having weapon training. I would appreciate if the story had an explanation as to why Neil would need weapons in the first place, perhaps some members of the families tried to/sent people to kill him.
History: Unfortunately, I think this section has it the worst. It would have fared better if there was more information on the history behind these families. Also, I would like to know more about the circumstances behind his father getting captured. Overall, the story could use more detail here and there.
Overall: While there are parts of this character that shine, there are also parts that are filled with holes. The section that I believe needs the most improvement is the history, and my favorite section would have to be the physical description. Good luck with any future revisions you decide to make for your character.
So with that out of the way, let's interview Neil's creator, Monk the Cat! Speaking of Monk, today just happens to be his birthday, so give him a shout out if you get the chance.
1. Q) Where did you come up with the idea of Neil?
- A) From making other hybrids. I wanted to have a unique combination, so I combined two of my favorite animals.
2. Q) Are you currently satisfied with how he has turned out design and story-wise?
- A) Yes. Though he does need to see more roleplay action.
3. Q) Do you have any future plans for Neil?
- A) Roleplays, maybe expand on the situation that he and his families are in.
4. Q) Is there any aspects of Neil that you had sought inspiration for?
- A) Well, not sure exactly where it came from, but I made him a thuggish-looking outcast, but yet still had him be very kind and gentle.
5. Q) What kind of career do you think that Neil would pursue if given the chance?
- A) Desert guide or tent-maker. (In short, I don't really have a clue.)
6. Q) If Neil looked back at his childhood, what would be the first thought that came to mind?
- A) The day his father didn't come home. Or the time he stung his mother.
7. Q) What is the best strategy for becoming quick friends with this scorpi-cat? Being polite and respectful. Insults won't really get under his skin, and they will just make him ignore you. Also, just running in fear isn't a very good friend-making approach, either.
Anything Neil wants to say before we close off?
Neil: "Have you seen Toxi? She ran off, again..."