Miles "Tails" Prower is an 8-year-old fox cub and the sidekick of Sonic the Hedgehog and a character of the series. Ever since his first appearance in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for the Sega Genesis, people considered him as cute, and is the best friend for life of Sonic the Hedgehog as well. According to the popularity polls, Tails is the third most popular character of the series, right behind Shadow and Sonic. He's been voiced by Coleen Villard, ever since Tails' voice on Sonic Boom, succeeding from Connor and Corey Bringas, William Corkery, Amy Palant and Kate Higgins respectively.
In the late 90's, Tails was originally an orange fox with the common classic appearance. A spherical body, black eyes, thin legs, and (originally) black straps (which may be a different color). Since Sonic Adventure and onwards, his appearance minorly changed. He currently has sky blue irises, longer legs, and a less spherical body. In the Sonic Boom series, he has white bandages on his arms and legs, and brown goggles, along with the common attire as well.
Tails is a gentle, sweet-natured fox that is loyal and has a positive attitude. When he was younger, he often fell prey tp bullying, giving him a lack of self-confidence and courage. But after meeting sonic, he gained the courage and confidence overtime.
Tails has picked up numerous skills in addition to his own inherent abilities:
- Using his two tails as a propeller, Tails is able to achieve flight. Using this skill allows him to keep up with Sonic, although Sonic could easily outrun him if he desired to. He can also use his propeller skills to keep up with Sonic on the ground, and can almost reach the speed of sound.
- Tails is an extremely skilled mechanic, a skill Sonic discovered after Tails fixed his plane, the original Tornado.
- Tails has an IQ of 300, the exact same as Dr Eggman. This allows him to formulate strategies, come up with new inventions and hack into computers.
- Tails is an expert pilot, allowing him to take control of any vehicle, though he has a preference for his own Tornado series of planes.
- Tails is a skilled weapons manufacturer, and in Sonic Adventure 2 he uses a version of the Tornado series of planes as a bipedal weapon very effectively, even beating Dr. Eggman in one-on-one combat.
- He can read binary and can use it to translate other languages into his own as seen in Sonic Colours.