Mighty Sonic is a fanfic by BearfootTruck, and the fourth episode in the ASMW series. Just when Sonic thinks he can relax, he finds that his next great foe isn't Robotnik, but rather…his own friends! Or is it Sonic himself? It all began because of a TV show…
In Knothole, a popular TV show has everybody talking. Everybody except Sonic, that is. The show is Super Changin' Muscle Rangers, a thinly-disguised version of Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers. Sonic hates the show because it caused his own show to get cancelled. After his friends keep bugging him to watch the show, Sonic flips out and runs away. Unbeknownst to him, Robotnik is cooking up another diabolical plot.
While relaxing at Cream's house, Sonic sees a news report about the disappearance of the main cast of Super Changin' Muscle Rangers. At this point, he is conflicted. While he hates the show, he also knows that Dr. Robotnik kidnapped them, and that he’s sworn to fight evil. However, Vanilla tells Sonic to follow his heart, so Sonic rounds up the Knothole Freedom Fighters and goes on a mission to rescue the Muscle Rangers.
It's a good thing, too, because Robotnik's newest plot is to: 1. Film his own Super Changin' Muscle Rangers episodes where the bad guys win, 2. Roboticize the Muscle Rangers, and 3. Take over the world using battle machines based off of villains from the show. Of course, Robotnik also has a ransom out for the stars of the show, but he has little intention of keeping his promise. No matter, because Robotnik is defeated again and the Muscle Rangers heroes rescued. As a reward and as compensation, Sonic & Tails get to guest star on an episode of Super Changin' Muscle Rangers!
During science class, Tails is assigned to be Shadow's partner for a science project. However, he doesn't want to be Shadow's partner because he's heard some bad things about him and he thinks that Shadow looks scary. However, Sonic says that you can't always judge somebody by appearances alone.
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Miles "Tails" Prower
- Knuckles the Echidna
- Dr. Ivo “Eggman” Robotnik
- Sally Acorn
- Bunnie Rabbot
- Antoine Depardieu/D'Coolette
- Rotor Walrus
- Shadow the Hedgehog
- Rouge the Bat
- Wes Westinghouse
- Amy Rose
- Cream the Rabbit
- Vanilla the Rabbit
- Security guards
- Other actors
- Other Sorin Brands employees
- Buzz Bombers
- Other badniks
- Edgar Eagle (on TV)
- Johnny Austin
- Alicia Huynh
- Manny Taylor
- Amy Sutherland
- Harold Cranston
- Oliver Davidson
- Barbara Perez
- Hank Sorin
- Sheldon Leib
- Edgar Eagle first appeared in AoStH episode #18: "Blank-Headed Eagle".
- The reference to Sonic's show getting cancelled is a reference to SatAM being cancelled due to stiff competition from none other than Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers. Consequently, that served as an inspiration for this episode.
- Chapter 1's title, "Fan Dumb", is a term used by TVTropes. Put simply, the term refers to fans of a work that are overly obsessed with said work and lack an understanding of the true importance of the work. In other words, they believe that just because they're die-hard fans, they’re right and everyone else who disagrees with them is wrong.
- Sonic's plea to Shadow about getting a life is a reference to a popular Saturday Night Live skit where William Shatner tells a group of Trekkies to "get a life".
- The pants that Rouge wears in this episode are the exact same pants that she wears in the Sonic Riders games.
- The SWATbots' kidnapping of the Muscle Rangers stars is similar to a scene from Ace Ventura: Pet Detective.
- The fact that Sonic, Cream, Cheese & Vanilla are watching Family Matters is a reference to Jaleel White playing Urkel & Sonic.
- Chapter 5's title is a reference to the Super Sentai series, the original source material for Power Rangers.
- The scene where Robotnik is forcing the Muscle Rangers stars to act in an episode that he wrote is a reference to Orson Welles" "Frozen Peas" blooper reel. Also during this scene, Robotnik's comment about evil engineering school is a reference to Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery.
- In Power Rangers/Muscle Rangers, the heroes use medallions/belt buckles to morph, whereas Sonic & co. use rings to morph.
- It’s mentioned that Sonic & his friends get color-coded Muscle Rangers costumes upon changin'. To be precise, their colors are as follows: Sonic = blue, Tails = orange, Knuckles = red, Sally = tan, Bunnie = yellow, and Rotor = gray. Ironically, in the Super Sentai/Power Rangers shows, the leader usually wears red.
- Handwavium is a fictional element that refers to "handwaving", which in literary terms refers to the act of using an unexplained or poorly-explained plot device that is used because it is convenient to the story. Coincidentally, some handwaving goes on when Tails & Rotor explain to Sonic why they can't just use their Vords all the time to defeat Robotnik and save the world.