The Merbians are the aquatic parallels to the Mobians. There are two Merbian kingdoms on Mobius; one in the Northern Great Sea, which is ruled by King Basileus and Queen Nausicaa, and one in the Southern Great Sea, which is ruled by King Munichus and Queen Laodice.
The Merbians resemble Mobian-Mermaid hybrids; however, Merbians do have legs. They are covered by scales; none of them have fur. They have fins extending from various parts of their bodies (most commonly the back, forearms and head), varying styles of fins extending from their heads like hair, and catfish-esque whiskers of varying length and amount.
They are typically colored with shades of blue and green, with other colors occasionally thrown in. Their hands and feet are webbed, and there are many different styles of tail, ranging from long and thick to very small, with a greatly extended caudal fin of varying shape and form. Their legs are also reverse-jointed.
In terms of clothing, they wear very little, and almost never wear shoes (although soldiers will sometimes wear greaves of some sort). Any clothing is often made of woven seaweed. They wear shells and corals as accessories, and also use them for tools and weapons. Their bodies are almost always adorned with tattoos.
It's also worth noting that Merbians who are already of a piscine species (such as Patrick the Leatherjacket or Crotus the Eel) typically don't have "Mer" in front of their species name. There also do not seem to be any Merbian avians, but some Merbian insects exist; they tend to be very rare, however.
Life of Peace
Long ago, the two Kingdoms lived in peace with each other and their underwater world, trading goods and gossip back and forth. Art and culture flourished in both Kingdoms, with different styles developing between the two.
Rise of The Water God
An Age of Oppression
The Merbians used to be a secretive people that revered the arts. They kept to themselves, and rarely fought; soldiers existed primarily as defense against hostile sea-creatures. All that changed for the Northern Kingdom when Aegaeon took over; those capable of fighting were taken to be part of his military and enforce his law.
The Northern Kingdom typically worships Tiamat, while the Southern Kingdom worships Akheilos. Both kingdoms collectively worship Neso, Ryujin, Mizuchi, Kyogre, Lugia, Suicine and Keldeo.
- Tiamat - The primary deity of the Northern Kingdom.
- Akheilos - The primary deity of the Southern Kingdom.
- Ryujin -
- Mizuchi -
- Neso -
- Kyogre -
- Lugia -
- Suicune -
Just a myth?
Those above the surface know so little about the Merbian people that they are often considered to be nothing more than a fairy tale, similar to mermaids in the real world.
Many of them have Greek names.
- King Basileus the Mer-Stoat - Male; late king of the Northern Merbian Kingdom, and husband of Queen Nausicaa. He was publicly executed by Arkham the Spiteful.
- Queen Nausicaa the Mer-Stoat - Female; queen of the Northern Merbian Kingdom, and wife of King Basileus.
- Josephus the Mer-Lynx - Male; a famous philosopher from long ago, now deceased.
- Gorgophone the Mer-Cat - Female; a renowned hunter of deadly sea-creatures.
- Atreus the Mer-Otter - Female; a civilian of the Northern Kingdom who becomes an important character during the events of Resurgence.
- Bienor the Mer-Gecko - Male; formerly one of King Basileus and Queen Nausicaa's personal guards, now forced to serve Aegaeon.
- Calligenia the Jellyfish - Female; formerly one of King Basileus and Queen Nausicaa's personal guards, now forced to serve Aegaeon.
- Prolochus the Seahorse - Male; formerly one of King Basileus and Queen Nausicaa's personal guards, now forced to serve Aegaeon.
- King Munichus the Mer-Hog - Male; king of the Southern Merbian Kingdom, husband of Queen Laodice and father of Princess Thalia.
- Queen Laodice the Mer-Cupine - Female; queen of the Southern Merbian Kingdom, wife of King Munichus and mother of Princess Thalia.
- Princess Thalia the Mer-Hog - Female; princess of the Southern Merbian Kingdom, and the daughter of King Munichus and Queen Laodice.
- Crotus the Eel - Male; one of Munichus and Laodice's personal guards.
- Acaste the Mer-Hyena - Female; one of Munichus and Laodice's personal guards.
- Iphinoe the Nudibranch - Male; one of Munichus and Laodice's personal guards, and the brother of Eriphe.
- Eriphe the Nudibranch - Female; one of Munichus and Laodice's personal guards, and the sister of Iphinoe.
- Patrick the Leatherjacket - Male