— Sonic: AoStH (Tails in Charge)
Chili Dogs are hot dogs with chili slathered on them. They are the favorite food of Sonic the Hedgehog in several continuities, particularly the various TV series: Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog (SatAM) and Sonic Underground. Recent games from the series have also made reference to chili dogs as Sonic's food of choice. In Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, Tails also liked chili dogs, but preferred his with extra cheese. Additionally, Breezie likes chili dogs but she only eats the ones prepared by Chef Charlemane.
Other types of hot dogs also appear. For example, in Sonic Underground, Sonic's sister Sonia the Hedgehog likes to eat hot dogs with tofu and in the Next Generation Alex The Hedgehog eats veggie dogs with squeeze tofu.
The earliest canon reference to Sonic's enjoyment of hot dogs (rather than the more specific chili dogs) seems to be in early issues of Sonic the Comic. In Sonic the Comic #5, Sonic sits down to eat 300 hot dogs and 100 thick shakes as the second course of breakfast (the first course of which consisted of 200 hamburgers, much to Tails' disgust). However, this doesn't seem to be much of a problem to Sonic since it can be implied that he can burn off the calories with his running. There is also a reference in Sonic the Hedgehog #0 which depicts Sonic and his uncle operating a chili dog stand, indicating that the love of the chili dog might well be a family affair.
In a story in the 11th issue of the Archie Sonic comic series, Sonic eats a bunch of chili dogs as a birthday present to himself, then has a food related nightmare where he is a chili dog. When Sonic wakes up, Sally Acorn and Tails give him a plate of chili dogs. Sonic at first refuses this present, but then eats them anyway.
In the Sonic the Hedgehog (Play-a-Sound Book), the plot is that Sonic is racing Robotnik in a scavenger hunt to win 6,000,000 Mobiums, which he says he will donate to charity. In the end, he wins the money and spends it on Chili Dogs instead.
In "Archie Sonic Mini-series Issue 0" Part II, Sonic mentions having a "Chili Dog break".
During the end credits of Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood, Sonic briefly mentions chili dogs.
In Sonic Unleashed, different hot dogs can be bought and won. Most stores even sell chili dogs, claiming that they're Sonic's favorite. Chip thinks they're too spicy for him, but does admit that they're good. In the instruction manual for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions, it's mentioned that Sonic loves chili dogs. In Eggmanland, there is a green chili dog called the Egg Dog, which isn't appetizing to either character as Chip doesn't like them, and Sonic will only gain 1 experience point from it (this somehow strangely applies to the Doggone Dog as well, but this could be due to the ingredients used in it and how bad Eggmanland's food is in general).
In the first cutscene of Sonic and the Black Knight, after Merlina the Sorceress summons Sonic, he falls from the sky with two chili dogs. After catching the chili dogs, he looks up to notice the Black Knight. He then eats one of his chili dogs, throws the other in the air. Then Sonic attacks and defeats the Knights of the Underworld, just before the chili dog falls on the ground. Minutes after trying to stop the Black Knight with the whirlwind Merlina created, Sonic's chili dog flew away to an unknown location. They can also be found as food item during the game, with the description calling them "Sonic's favorite".
In Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, under Sonic's profile, it says that he likes Chili Dogs.
In Sonic Generations, Sonic is given a chili dog as a birthday present (wrapped in a bow, no less). However, it is the first thing that is blown away when the Time Eater appears. In the ending, it flew back into his hands, and Sonic took a taste saying it's still warm.
The original recipe was printed in the last story in the first issue of the Archie Sonic the Hedgehog comics (titled 'Fast Food!'). The recipe is as follows:
Chili Dog a la Sonic
- Brown 1 lb. ground beef
- Add ½ cup each of chopped onions, peppers and mushrooms (brown lightly)
- Add 1 large can of crushed tomatoes
- Add 8 oz. barbecue sauce
- Simmer ½ hour
- Add 1 teaspoon each of chili powder, cumin, oregano
- Add 1 large can red kidney beans (drained)
- Simmer 1 hour
- Add hot dogs
- Cook 15 minutes in sauce
- Put on toasted roll
- (melted cheese optional)
- As seen in the picture above, there is a scene in Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog episode "Boogey Mania", where Sonic is shown making a chili dog while wearing an apron and toque (traditional hat worn by chefs). Interestingly, in that scene, he has no gloves on. He is also shown inspecting chili in his 'chili dog inspector' disguise (suggesting some spicier chili instead of the kind Grounder was cooking) before being turned into solid stone by the Super Supreme Stopper Zapper.
- In the Sonic Sez segment of Too Tall Tails, Sonic mentions that he likes eating chili dogs but he also likes eating healthy as well.
- Sonic and the Black Knight is one of two games that shows Sonic eating chili dogs. The other is Sonic Generations, in the first and second-to-last cutscenes, as well as it's manga, where both Sonics are seen eating chilli dogs.
- A query was asked in the Sonic Universe fan-mail service and published in Issue 4. A comment was stated "We don't see Sonic eating a lot of chilidogs anymore. What gives?" It was replied: "He's been too busy saving the world to dwell on dinner! But don't you worry - he's scarfing' down plenty behind the scenes".
- In Sonic the Hedgehog: Issue #230, Sonic mentions eating a million chili dogs after arresting Eggman, destroying the Death Egg, and defeating Ixis Naugus.
- In Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, Tails' favorite food is also chili dogs, just like Sonic, only he prefers his with cheese.
- A commercial for Mario and Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games features an alternate ending where Sonic apparently ordered a chili dog.
- In Sonic Unleashed, there are achievements featuring the chili dogs:
- The vendors in Sonic Unleashed have different types of hot dogs for each location.
Sonic and the Sleeping Death
Robotnik conjures a poisoned chili dog which will cause deathlike sleep and proceeds to leave his castle. He is sure that no one would know or perform the counter-curse to his spell, and believes Sonic's friends would bury the hedgehog alive, thinking him dead. He comes to the cottage, followed by two vicious buzzards, and finds Sonic making chili dogs for his friends. Somehow, Sonic's animal friends realize that Eggman is up to something. After an unsuccessful attempt to warn Sonic by attacking Robotnik, they go to warn Sonic's friends of the mad doctor's arrival. Eggman tricks Sonic into letting him inside the cottage and eating the poisoned chili dog, telling him that it is a magical wishing chili dog. Sonic makes a wish, eats the chili dog and falls to the floor after moaning, apparently dead.
Robotnik rejoices in his victory, but is soon discovered by Sonic's friends, who chase him deep into the forest as a great storm begins. He climbs up into the mountains, where he stands upon a precipice that overlooks a seemingly bottomless canyon, and attempts to push down a large boulder to crush the anthropomorphs. Just then, a lightning bolt strikes between him and the boulder, destroying the precipice and sending Eggman (along with the boulder) down the cliff, screaming while he falls to the jagged rocks below. As Sonic's friends look wide-eyed over the cliff's edge, they cannot see him. The buzzards fly past. His castle is taken over by Amy and Sonic, after her kiss revives him.