Darkchaos2795, the author of Blue Blur, considers this page to be unfinished. As such, some sections may change.
- Not to be confused with The Blue Blur.
- "Hey. Just smile."
- —Sonic the Hedgehog
Blue Blur is a computer-generated animated cinematic saga written and animated by Mac the Writer (who also wrote The New Hero, Codename: Avalanche, and Freedom Planet). The story was planned out after he returned to the Sonic fanbase and decided to make a story to work alongside The New Hero. According to Mac, Blue Blur will "appeal the most type of Sonic fans possible, wether it would be SatAM fans, Archie fans, Classic fans, Modern fans, American fans, Japanese fans, etc." The first entry of the saga is known as Blue Blur: Curse of Mobius.
Blue Blur acts as an alternate universe of the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise, in which it's influenced by most, if not all adaptations of Sonic (including the games) while still giving its own identity. The tone and story arc, in itself, is influenced by Transformers, The Matrix, and Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope.
Each saga are listed in seasons are loosely based on the game canon and other continuities of Sonic the Hedgehog, whether being Archie Sonic, Sonic Underground and so forth. With the series being diverse, it will contain different seasons, each with around 8 entries to list.
Season 1: Sega Sonic, Sonic OVA, Sonic X and Sonic Boom
Blue Blur: Curse of Mobius
See also Blue Blur: Curse of Mobius
Blue Blur: Curse of Mobius is the first entry of the first season and the entire Blue Blur franchise. It's inspiration is from the games Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 & Knuckles, with a bit from Sonic CD, Sonic X and Sonic Boom. Dr. Robotnik, after his failed attempt to use Naugus to destroy Sonic the Hedgehog, went on to collect the seven Chaos Emeralds to fully power-up the Death Nova and take over the universe to turn every living beings to robots. Before that, he wanted Sonic killed in order for him to not interrupt his plans, so he ordered Tails to behead the Blue Blur. But after giving in to Cosmo's charms, he betrayed the Empire by saving her life from roboticization, and afterwards, revealed Robotnik's plans involving the Chaos Emeralds. So Sonic, Cosmo, Tails and later Amy and Sticks went on an adventure to collect all the Chaos Emeralds before Robotnik does. In their adventures, the Guardian of the Master Emerald chase them down, Sonic's faker Hyper Metal Sonic reveals himself, and Robotnik does everything he can in desperation to prevent his plan from being ultimately foiled.
Entries (In order)
- Curse of Mobius
- Metal Overlord
- Hyper Metal Sonic
- Angel of Chaos
- Chaos Zero
- Shadow of the Ark
- Shadow the Hedgehog
- Battle For Greengate
- Darkness Within Us
- Black Doom
- Fighter of the Future
- Mephiles the Dark/Iblis the Flame
- Rise of the Ancients
- Lyric the Last Ancient
- Dawn of Paradox
- Time Eater/Mammoth Mogul
Season 2: Archie Sonic, Sonic SatAM and Sonic the Comic
Entries (In order)
- The Dimensional Rift
- Robotnik Nega
- The Internal War
- Mecha Sonic
- The Battle of Ideals
- Dr. Finitevus
Other Canon Stories
Blue Blur: Genesis
Blue Blur: Genesis is a short story that acts as a prequel to the entire saga, in which it depicts the origin of Sonic the Hedgehog, how he met Cosmo the Seedrian, and how he freed many Mobians for the first time. It's also where we get to see the origin of Knothole Village and the Freedom Fighters. As the title might suggest, this short in particular is heavily based on the original Sega Genesis game Sonic the Hedgehog, which depicts note-for-note on Sonic and Cosmo's journey to defeat Robotnik through the same stages as in the game its based on.
Blue Blur: Freedom Fighters
Blue Blur: Freedom Fighters is a mini-series that takes place between Blue Blur: Genesis and Blue Blur: Curse of Mobius, which depicts the events that happened after the establishment of Knothole Village, and before Robotnik went after the Chaos Emeralds. The series shows Dr. Robotnik wanting to unleash the dark mage Walter Naugus from the Special Zone to destroy the Freedom Fighters and keep the Robotnik Empire safe from Sonic and the crew of Knothole. Tails, Robotnik's apprentice at the time, hired two acquaintances, in the form of bounty hunters Sleet and Dingo, to fulfill Robotnik's mission to free Naugus from his eternal prison. After hearing about it, Sonic and Cosmo, alongside Perci, Mighty and Ray, head off to stop Robotnik, Tails, Sleet and Dingo from unleashing a possible terror that could spell the end of Mobius as we know it. Meanwhile, Dr. Robotnik is also building a space station powerful enough to destroy an entire planet, just in case everything falls apart for him... Blue Blur: Freedom Fighters is loosely inspired by Sonic SatAM, the Archie Sonic comic, and Sonic Underground.
Unnamed Blue Blur and Freedom Planet crossover
Though very unlikely, it's possible that Mac might make a crossover entry between Blue Blur and Freedom Planet, the spiritual successor to Sonic the Hedgehog. Although it's not fully planned out, and Mac felt that it would be too "forced" and "cliché'd" for it to become a reality.
However, with the 2017 film of Freedom Planet being developed, Mac said the possibility of a crossover might be possibly, but it isn't guaranteed. "Only time will tell," he said.
List of Characters
See Blue Blur/Worldbuilding for more details.
Generally, unlike other fanworks, Blue Blur consists of nothing but redesigns of the original characters throughout the franchise. With the exception of Vangelis, it has no fan characters whatsoever, mainly because Mac didn't want to take the Sega route and introduce a new important character throughout every saga. He felt fan characters would go through that approach, which he's avoiding it. As for Vangelis being the only exception, he wanted to have it so that Vangelis has a similar approach to Yacker from Sonic Colour; a new character that doesn't have that big of a focus, but still contributes to the story. He didn't want to give Vangelis a similar treatment to, for example, Silver the Hedgehog or Sticks the Badger; Instead, he'd rather give him a more minor role compare to the other main characters.
As for the official characters, they're slightly redesigned to give this "Transformers vibe". While none of the characters are realistic (with maybe the exception of Robotnik), they have different touch of their design in comparison to the original designs to suit their abilities better. Sonic has a ring for a necklace and a sleeveless jacket to suit his 90s attitude and athletic skills; Cosmo has a more flower-y design for her clothing and petals are added on her buds to show her soft side; Tails has goggles on top of him alongside a working belt for his engineering skills; Knuckles is a lot more buff (like his Boom design) and has fingered punching gloves with spiked brass knuckles for his sheer strength; Amy has a more athletic female clothing and a belt that can summon her Piko Piko Hammer for her similar athletic skill to Sonic; and Sticks has clothing made of animal skins and leaves for her wild trait.
The characters shown below are to appear in the first entry, Blue Blur: Curse of Mobius. For more detail on the first entry, click here.
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Cosmo the Seedrian
- Miles "Tails" Prower
- Knuckles the Echidna
- Amy Rose the Rascal
- Sticks the Badger
- Vangelis the Dark Chao
- Dr. Ivo Robotnik
- Metal Sonic
- Scratch and Grounder
- The R-Series SWAT-Bots
- R-100 α (Alpha)
- R-101 β (Beta)
- R-102 γ (Gamma)
- R-103 Δ (Delta)
- R-104 ε (Epsilon)
- R-105 ζ (Zeta)
Part of Blue Blur's development was inspired by the different take on the Sonic the Hedgehog Archie Comic story, by BloodRunsClear. His video was a key to what would eventually become Blue Blur.
It had a lot of different take throughout the years, but in 2013, when Mac the Writer temporarily returned to the fanbase, its semi-final form took place. Originally meant to replace The New Hero, Blue Blur started with a very early idea of having Mighty the Armadillo and Ray the Flying Squirrel be part of Team Sonic instead of Cosmo and Tails, similar to how Sonic Underground has Manic and Sonia taking the place of Tails and Knuckles. However, that idea was quickly scrapped in favour of Tails and Cosmo appearing alongside Sonic. The reason, according to Mac, is to make Blue Blur a tribute to the entire Sonic the Hedgehog franchise, and not just the games but also the other alternate universes. He did that because of how he wanted to have one series of the blue hedgehog that the entire broken fanbase can enjoy together without fighting each other. He felt that the biggest problem of Sonic is how inconsistent the franchise is with its many different games and continuities, which is why he wanted to make one saga that's not only inspired by the other continuities while still being its own thing, but also being consistent with its characters and stories.
Although it was temporarily dropped since 2013, it got picked up again by Mac the Writer in January of 2016 when he stumbled across the notification above the article. Apparently, Blue Blur was nominated for Best Fanfiction Award in Sonic Fanon Wiki's Summer 2015 Awards. That alone got him inspired to continue the saga, alongside some of the members he talked to in the wiki. That also inspired him to continue his other project, The New Hero, and create new stories based on the Sonic franchise, Codename: Avalanche and Freedom Planet.
Blue Blur received critical acclaim from the SFW community. It's widely praised for its unique take on the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise, which includes its darker tone, the redesigns of certain characters, the depiction of different games, cartoons and comic books based on the franchise, and the story surrounding them. It was heavily praised by the community, to the point that it was nominated twice for Best Fan Project, including Summer of 2015 and Summer of 2016, and was even a Featured Article on March of 2018.
Sonic the Hedgehog
- "Don't ya know who I am? I'm the fastest thing alive!"
- "Gotta go fast, suckers!"
- "What you see is what you get. Just a guy who runs fast and loves adventures."
- "Way to go, Foxboy."
- "Kiss my spiny blue ass, ya piece of metal junk!"
- *Laughs* "'Eggman'?! Good one, Cosmo. I gotta remember that one!"
- "I'm waaaiiitiiiing."
- "Way past cool, huh?"
- "Come and get some, Eggman!"
- "Yo, Foxboy! Long time, no see."
- "Easy there, Fido. Why don't I take you for a walk, eh, Cerby? *whistles* Come on, boy. I have dog treats for ya by the end of our match."
- "Too slow."
- "Amazing! Same speed, same strength... It's almost as if I have a long, lost twin brother. Except that he's a goddamn robot! Strange, isn't it?!"
- "Yeah, Knux... just leave the one-liners to me."
- "Seems like I've looked at you wrong, Eggman. Now you seem more like a Scrambled Eggman more than a dictator!"
- "Yeah, the less we talk about my old self, the better."
- "Let's do it to it!"
Dr. Ivo Robotnik
- "I hate that hedgehog."
- "The Robotnik Empire shall not be collapsed by a blue rat!"
- "Welcome to your doom, Sonic."
- "What has gotten into your mind, Tails? Answer me!"
- "Away, Sonic, before I make mincemeat out of you."
- "What are you two doing in that traitor's workshop? Snooping as usual?"
- "Get a load of this!"
- "That's good. That's very good."
- "A Chaos Emerald... Two down... Five more to go..."
- "I'm surrounded by imbeciles..."
- "Now, Cosmo, this way to the Roboticizer, if you may."
- "If I may, I shall introduce you to my most glorious invention yet. This is the Death Nova, a space station powerful enough to turn the entire surface of a planet to ashes."
- "There will only be one standing, Sonic. And that certainly won't be you."
- "For the last time, I am Dr. Robotnik, the greatest scientific leader in the world! I am not called "Eggman", you big-mouthed mammal."
Miles "Tails" Prower
- "I... I'm sorry."
- "Hey, Blue Butt! Careful with my tools. You don't want to break any of them, otherwise we're screwed."
- "Go! Get out of here, before my father tracks you down and roboticizes you!"
- "...Well, shit. You think you screwed up bad?"
- "Alright. Leave it to me."
- "Useless... Useless..."
- "Wait, you have a plane, Sonic?...Mind if I examine it, just for the hell of it?"
- "It's hard to explain, Sonic, but there's something about Cosmo that... softens me."
- "Woah, damn. My head's spinning."
- "You know, Sonic, I'm sure, in your head, you see so many good benefits about your plan. But, for the likes of me, I don't see them."
- "Me too, Vangelis. Me too."
- "Can someone get that walking knucklehead out of our trails?!"
- "...Who the hell is Nicky?"
Knuckles the Echidna
- "As far back as I can remember, I've been living here on this floating island. Always guarding the Master Emerald from anything that could harm her. I don't know why I was given this duty, why it was my "fate", but it's who I am now: a guardian, destined to be up here forever..."
- "Isn't that the same hedgehog that stole the Master Emerald? And... Is that a piece of the Emerald that he's holding? Did he broke her?"
- "Shut up, hedgehog! Give me that piece of the Emerald, or else you'll get a taste of my fist!"
- "My hat! You ruin my beautiful hat... You'll pay for this, plant girl!"
- "Hey, get back here!"
- "Hey now, unlike that hedgehog, I don't chuckle at enemies. I'd rather flex my muscles and punch them."
- "So uh, real talk, plant girl. Anything new between you and that fox? Getting along well?"
- "Robot scum!"
- "Heh, I was born ready, Eggman!"
- "Call me the 'Can Opener', because I'm about to bust open your ass!"
- "This whole mess is Sonic's fault. He just likes to beat up Eggman for kicks rather than freedom."
- "Brace yourself!"
Cosmo the Seedrian
- "That's what friends do, right? They stick together until the end."
- "There's good in him, Sonic. Believe me, I can feel it."
- "Will you two please stop fighting?"
- "I can't let you hurt him! He helped me escape. He's... he's my friend."
- "Yes, the stars are beautiful. I could just lay there and observe the stars all night long."
- "Stop talking about Sonic like that, Knuckles! If you don't, then I'm not going any further."
- "Please, Vangelis. Can you make sure Sonic and Tails make it safe?"
- "Sonic may have this "attitude" you speak of, Tails. But deep down, there's still a bit of Nicky in him."