And Down Will Come Sonic – Cradle and All is a fanfic by BearfootTruck, and the third episode in the ASMW series. After his latest defeat, Dr. Robotnik builds a new megaweapon in an attempt to reign supreme. To use it to its full effectiveness, however, he'll have to get a certain hedgehog out of the way first…
Having lost a good portion of his forces in the attempted attack on the Great Forest, Robotnik recalls some of his troops from other parts of Mobius while he rebuilds. In the meantime, he's cooking up a new doomsday weapon: The Atomic Decoupler. The weapon works by weakening the bonds between atoms by bombarding them with subsonic particles. If used correctly, it could turn the planet into a cloud of dust within an hour. Before deploying the weapon, he sets a diversion for Sonic in the form of a fake distress call. Both Sonic & Shadow fight off the attackers, but Sonic is wounded during the battle. Sally patches up his wounds, and Sonic appears to be doing well, until he eats a bunch of chili dogs and falls asleep after supper.
While sleeping, Sonic dreams that he’s in a schoolhouse with another Sonic. However, the dream turns into a nightmare when the other Sonic tells the real Sonic that he can never leave. Sonic is now trapped in a series of nightmares where he is being pursued by his evil doppelganger. When he doesn't awake the next morning, everyone becomes worried, especially Sally, so she runs a series of tests and determines that Sonic's been injected with a special toxin whose only known antidote is a plant that grows far away from Knothole. Tails chooses to do the job and flies to Azure Lake Zone with his Tornado biplane. Despite being attacked by stealthbots on the way back, he makes it and delivers the antidote.
They must hurry, though. The Chaotix inform Sally that Robotnik's been moving a few troops around in Eggopolis, no doubt because of the Atomic Decoupler. Even when Sally administers the antidote to Sonic, he doesn’t come around. Not yet, anyways. After a while, Sonic conquers his nightmares and awakens. After a tearful embrace with his friends, they set out to Eggopolis. They're temporarily held up by a gun-wielding Richard Nixon impersonator & Shadow, but they get there in time and destroy the Atomic Decoupler.
One day, Antoine is merrily skipping down the sidewalk when Shadow tells him that he’s ugly and should die. Antoine is terribly insulted by this. Then, Sonic steps in and explains why bullying is wrong and what the audience can do to stop it.
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Miles "Tails" Prower
- Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik
- Sally Acorn
- Bunnie Rabbot
- Antoine Depardieu/D’Coolette
- Rotor Walrus
- Amy Rose
- Shadow the Hedgehog
- Knuckles the Echidna (dream sequence)
- Wes Westinghouse (dream sequence)
- Rouge the Bat
- Charmy Bee
- Espio the Chameleon
- Vector the Crocodile
- Sharon St. Martin (dream sequence)
- NYPD officers (dream sequence)
- Radio DJ (dream sequence)
- Surgeons (dream sequence)
- Fred & Ted
- Other badniks
- Nightmare Sonic/Tails Doll
- Richard Nixon (an impersonator, actually)
- The episode's title is a reference to the classic lullaby "Rock-a-bye Baby".
- The Robo-Slot Selectifier is a reference to the slot machine that Robotnik used in Sonic X.
- The schoolhouse dream sequence is a reference to a YouTube video called "Sonic’s School From Hell", which also served as an inspiration for the story as a whole.
- The chainsaw robot that Knuckles talks about could be a reference to the Mushroom Hill Zone miniboss in Sonic & Knuckles.
- A number of Sonic's dream sequences make references to movies: Dirty Harry, Duel, Indiana Jones & Saw.
- When Sonic is dreaming that he’s in New York again, one of the police cars has number 1124, a reference to the US release date of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 – November 24, 1992. Two other police cars – #1893 & #993 – are references to the premier dates for SatAM & AoStH, respectively.
- In the Duel dream sequence, Sonic’s line about getting out and running faster than the car is a reference to Terminator 2: Judgment Day.
- Also during the Duel sequence, Nightmare Sonic makes a reference to the movie Maximum Overdrive.
- Both the name of Kinto Village & KINT Radio are references to Kintobor, a.k.a. you-know-who.
- In the Ice Cap dream sequence, the cry of "SONEEK!! SONEEK!!" is a reference to a bootleg Sonic game – Sonic the Hedgehog 4 for SNES (not to be confused with the real McCoy).
- During the fake Richard Nixon's rant, he references the song "We Built This City" by Starship.
- Just before he passes out, the fake Richard Nixon says "Hello computer", a reference to Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.